Maglev technology for aircrafts - any possibility?

Q2021

Maglev technology for aircrafts - any possibility?

Post by Q2021 »

Hi all,

Firstly, I am not from America but I had to choose the default to register. Please excuse for that.

My query -

Is there any possibility that maglev technology can be used for aircrafts, at least taking off, and for small aircrafts? If yes, what are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

PS: https://spectrum.ieee.org/faster-than-a ... llet-train

jok

Re: Maglev technology for aircrafts - any possibility?

Post by jok »

Q2021 wrote:
13. Sep 2021, 18:16
Is there any possibility that maglev technology can be used for aircrafts, at least taking off, and for small aircrafts? If yes, what are the pros and cons?
Maglev systems are being used on new U.S. aircraft carriers to quickly bring fighters up to airspeed. In the past, these were compressed air-powered sleds; today, they are maglev sleds.
The same applies to submarines, where long-range missiles are accelerated by Maglev sleds during launch. As far as is known, the US fleet already uses the Maglev system for that purpose. The Russian fleet is said to be about to introduce it. The German submarines are also likely to be using it.
Best regards,
jok

Q2021

Re: Maglev technology for aircrafts - any possibility?

Post by Q2021 »

Thanks jok! So, it should be viable for land based aircrafts also - small passenger ones and jet fighters? Could you also indicate any pros and cons versus current system.

Best regards.
Thanks & Best regards.