Trump administration cancels Maglev funding, citing cost overruns and no viable path
The federal government has canceled funding for the long-proposed 26.6-mile Maglev train between Baltimore and Washington, D.C., citing years of delays, cost overruns, and unresolved issues. The move could save taxpayers up to $26 million. Transportation Secretary Sean P. Duffy said the high-speed rail project lacked a realistic path to completion. “We want to support innovative transportation, but this project failed on every front,” he said. A letter from the Federal Railroad Administration to Maryland’s Department of Transportation cited “significant, unresolvable impacts” and no viable way forward, given long delays and soaring costs.
The Maglev, originally pitched to cut travel time between the cities to under 15 minutes, never progressed beyond permitting despite more than two decades of development and lobbying. Since 2016, the project has faced multiple environmental review pauses, with the most recent beginning in 2021.
Maglev backers spent over $1.1 million lobbying in 2023 and 2024. Yet the project has faced bipartisan opposition, with concerns over cost, displacement of low-income residents, and duplication of MARC train services. Nearly $27 million in federal money had already been invested. The train’s proposed route would have passed near sensitive federal sites, including the NSA and Fort Meade. Previous efforts to ban state funds for Maglev have failed in the legislature. Maryland Gov. Wes Moore recently rode the Maglev during a trip to Japan, voicing strong support. However, his office did not respond to requests for comment on the federal decision or state spending tied to the now-defunct project.
The cancellation comes as Maryland’s transportation leadership is in flux and amid renewed uncertainty around other major projects like the Baltimore Red Line. While this decision ends the Baltimore-D.C. Maglev plan, it does not prohibit future Maglev development in the U.S.
Info based on: By Gary Collins | Spotlight on Maryland | August 1, 2025 https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/tru ... hington-dc Accessed 2025-08-01
[US] Trump administration cancels Maglev funding
Re: [US] Trump administration cancels Maglev funding
Info quoted from: https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/comm ... 2SPLEKDKQ/ Accessed 2025-08-01The Federal Railroad Administration has officially canned the environmental review process for the section of the proposed Northeast Maglev train between D.C. and Baltimore, halting a plan that would be transformative for the region but has drawn the ire of community groups in parts of Maryland along its path.
The proposal would cause “significant, unresolvable impacts to federal agencies and federal property,” according to a letter the FRA sent Thursday to Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul Wiedefeld and shared with The Baltimore Banner. The letter also cites “substantial delay and cost overruns” associated with the review process.
Responding in a letter of his own, Wiedefeld wrote that MDOT would comply with the FRA’s request, and thanked the federal agency for its partnership.
- latestnews
- Posts: 332
- Joined: 1. Oct 2021, 13:44
Re: [US] Trump administration cancels Maglev funding
Source: Quote from: https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/comm ... 2SPLEKDKQ/ Accessed 2025-08-01While its project is tabled for now, the Northeast Maglev spokesperson said: “It is our sincere hope that future leaders will recognize the promise of high-speed rail, the adoption of new technology, and the opportunity to reclaim America’s transportation dominance to the benefit of its citizens.”
- latestnews
- Posts: 332
- Joined: 1. Oct 2021, 13:44
Re: [US] Trump administration cancels Maglev funding
Quote from: https://marylandmatters.org/2025/08/01/ ... happening/ Accessed 2025-08-02Baltimore Washington Rapid Rail is the company that had been slated to develop the project labeled Northeast Maglev. It said the train would have connected Washington, D.C., to Baltimore in 15 minutes at a speed of 311 mile per hour; and a trip between Washington and New York in an hour.
The company said in a statement Friday afternoon the administration’s decision represents a “missed opportunity.”
“The SCMAGLEV would have resulted in over $6 billion in private investment, created more than 160,000 jobs, and replaced 16 million car trips,” the company said. “With cars being the largest source of pollution in Maryland, significant air quality benefits would have been realized. Instead, the Washington, DC metro area will remain number one in the country for the worst traffic, delays, and congestion.”
Besides the company highlighting private investments of nearly $158 million, Northeast Maglev received representation from two of the state’s biggest lobbying firms: Evans and Associates and Manis Canning and Associates, both based in Annapolis.