Germany, European Union
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Prof. E.h. Peter Eberhard is a full professor at the University of Stuttgart, Germany.
He serves as head of the Institute of Engineering and Computational Mechanics.
- March 15, 1966 born in Stuttgart
- 1991 Graduation in Mechanical Engineering (Dipl.-Ing.), University of Stuttgart
- 1991 - 2000 Fully Funded Research Associate at the Institute B of Mechanics, University of Stuttgart (since 1996 C1-level corresponding to Assistant Professor)
- 1995 Visiting Scientist at the Mathematics and Computer Science Department, Argonne National Laboratory, USA
- January 1996 Doctoral Degree (Dr.-Ing.), University of Stuttgart, thesis about ‘Optimization of Multibody Systems’
- 1996 - 1997 Visiting Scientist at the University of California, UC Berkeley, USA
- January 2000 Habilitation Degree (Dr.-Ing. habil.), University of Stuttgart, thesis about ‘Contact Investigations using Hybrid Multibody/Finite Element Simulations’
- 2000 - 2002 Full Professor (C3) of Mechanics and System Dynamics at the Institute of Applied Mechanics at the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg
- since 2002 Director and Full Professor (C4, W3) at the Institute of Engineering and Computational Mechanics (until 2005: Institute B of Mechanics), University of Stuttgart
Internal and External Positions
- since 2012 Treasurer, Member of the Bureau, General Assembly Member of IUTAM
- 2006 - 2012 elected German representative in the General Assembly
- since 2016 Coordinator Priority Programme SPP1897 ‘Calm, Smooth, and Smart – Novel Approaches for Influencing Vibrations by Means of Deliberately Introduced Dissipation’ funded by the German Research Foundation
- 2012 - 2014 Chairman of DEKOMECH (Deutsches Komitee für Mechanik)
- 2014 - 2016 Vice-Chairman of DEKOMECH (Deutsches Komitee für Mechanik)
- 2012 - 2014 Chairman of IMSD (Int. Association of Multibody System Dynamics)
- 2014 - 2016 Vice-Chairman of IMSD (Int. Association of Multibody System Dynamics)
- 2010 - 2016 Member of the Board (Vorstandsrat) of the GAMM (Society of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics)
- since 2019 elected Member of the Senate of the University of Stuttgart
- since 2014 Member of the University Committee for Scientific Misconduct at the University of Stuttgart
- since 2011 Member of the Senate Committee for Research/Structure at the University of Stuttgart
- 2010-2016 Chairman of the Doctoral Examination Committee of the Mechanical Engineering Department of the University of Stuttgart
- since 2007 Founding Member of the Stuttgart Research Centre "Simulation Technology (SimTech)" (Exzellenzcluster SimTech)
- since 2005 Guest Member and former elected member of the ASME Technical Committee on Multibody Systems and Nonlinear Dynamics
- 2002 - 2006 Dean of Studies ''Mechatronics''
Member of GAMM, EUROMECH, IMSD, ISSMO (Int. Society of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization)
Member of Editorial Boards
- Co-Editor "Lecture Notes Applied and Computational Mechanics", Springer book series
- Associate Editor of the journal ' Mechanics Research Communications'
- Associate Editor of the journal 'Archive of Mechanical Engineering'
- former Associate Editor of the "European Journal of Mechanics A/Solids"
- former Contributing Editor of the "International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics"
- Member of the Editorial Board “Computational Particle Mechanics”
- Member of the Editorial Board "Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization"
- Member of the Advisory Board "Multibody System Dynamics"
- Member of the Editorial Board "Advances in Applied Mechanics"
- Member of the Editorial Board "ZAMM"
- former Member of the Editorial Board "Acta Mechanica Sinica"
- Member of the Editorial Board "International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (IJAMM)"
- Member of the Editorial Board "Lecture Notes in Applied Mathematics und Mechanics"
Conference Organization as Chairman
- Chairman: EUROMECH Colloquium 442Computer-Aided-Optimization of Mechanical Systems, 2003
- Chairman: IUTAM Symposium: Multiscale Problems in Multibody System Contacts, 2006
- Chairman:IMSD Conference 2012 International Conference on Multibody System Dynamics
Professional Offers, Awards and Recognitions
- 2000 Richard-von-Mises Award GAMM (Ges. für Ang. Mathematik und Mechanik)
- 2002 Offer of a Full Professorship (C4) at the University of Karlsruhe
- 2002 Offer of a Full Professorship (C4) at the University of Stuttgart
- 2011 Offer of a Full Professorship (W3) at the Technical University of Munich
- Nov. 2007 Honorary Professorship from the Nanjing University of Science and Technology, Nanjing, PR China
- since 2010 Guest Professor Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, PR China
Books and Publications
- Author, Co-Author, Editor of about 7 books
- Translations of books in English, Russian, and Chinese language
- As of June 11, 2020 author and co-author of about 500 publications. For a complete list see http://info.itm.uni-stuttgart.de/staff/Eberhard/eberhard_publikationen.php
More Details as of June 11, 2020
- founder of the ‘Competence Center for Laser-Doppler- Vibrometry in Biomechanics’ 2013
- about 57 completed supervised doctoral theses (about 30 more are already admitted by the Department of Mechanical Engineering but not yet finished)
- more than 530 supervised student theses in mechanics since Oct 2002
- reviews for about 70 different journals as well as many scientific organizations, universities and companies
Fully funded projects with about 60 different companies in Germany, China, Norway, Switzerland and Japan.